With eight charter members, Friendship Baptist Church was organized on October 15, 1944. The church began as a mission outreach of First Baptist Church of Ft. Worth. The church was first located at 2008 Carson St. in Haltom City, and relocated to the present location at 1248 W. Hurst Blvd in April, 1970.
The church has consistently supported foreign missionary endeavors around the globe, currently supporting missionary families in more than 10 different countries. There has also been a strong evangelistic outreach locally supporting several “home” mission projects. Four new churches began as outreach missions of Friendship Baptist. Those are Ada Baptist Temple of Ada, Oklahoma, Northeast Baptist Church of Southlake, Texas, Brown Trail Baptist Church of Bedford, Texas, and Riverside Baptist Church of Meridian, Texas.
Former pastors are W.P. Hansen (1944 – 1945), W.E Fisher (1945 – 1949) J. D. Johnston (1947 – 1967), and Joe D. Wade (1967 – 2005). The goal of the church has always been to spread the gospel and good news of salvation, and various ministries through the years have resulted in bringing many to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. This has been accomplished through Bible teaching and preaching.
Under the leadership of Pastor Jerry Power, Jr. Friendship Baptist offers a wide range of ministries for all ages including Sunday School for children, teens, and adults, a Youth Ministry for teens, and various Bible studies.
Pastor Power grew up as a “preacher’s kid” from a long line of pastors. His grandfather, his father, and two uncles all served as pastors. Before entering the ministry he worked as a farrier and in carpentry construction. Bro. Power’s first pastorate was in Irving beginning in 1998. He was then called to pastor in Pueblo, Colorado before coming to Friendship Baptist in 2006. Bro. Power and his wife, Carrie have 3 children – Catherine, Justin, and Ashleigh.